Hailey's Hope Foundation

Supporting Families in the NICU

Molly and Emilia – 33 week twins


In 2012, I was due to have twin girls in May, but the girls had another plan.  On March 24, at 33 weeks, 3 days, I delivered my daughters, Molly and Emilia, at Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, New York.  Molly weighed 5lbs, 2 oz, and Emilia weighed 6lbs, 1 oz.  They were “big” for preemies, but almost immediately, Emilia had trouble breathing and she was put on oxygen.  By the next morning, Emilia’s lung collapsed, and as a result, she had trouble feeding (both girls were being tube fed).  Doctors recommended placing a PIC-line to feed Emilia.  During the procedure, Emilia’s heart raced.  It took several attempts to bring her heart back to normal rhythm.  Doctors recommended Emilia be transferred to the NICU at Maria Fareri’s Children’s Hospital for a full cardiac work up.


In the early morning hours of March 26th, Emilia was transferred by ambulance.  Having just had a c-section, I stayed behind with Molly (who was doing well) at Good Samaritan, while my husband, Tim, went with Emilia.  When they arrived at Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital, Tim was greeted by a social worker, who provided Tim with information about the hospital’s NICU, including that the hospital did not take our insurance – a shock, that caused us great anxiety – but that Hailey’s Hope Foundation offered resources to help us during Emilia’s stay.  We later learned that Hailey’s Hope was based in Goshen, and it felt like a little piece of home with us in Westchester.

I was released from Good Samaritan later in the day on March 26th, and for the next two weeks, Tim and I traveled from Goshen to Suffern to visit with Molly and to Westchester to visit with Emilia.  During that time, we relied on the meal cards and parking passes provided to us by Hailey’s Hope Foundation.

Emilia received wonderful care in the NICU (as did Molly).  Emilia was diagnosed with SVT, which was likely triggered by the placement of the PIC line, but because the doctors could not be certain of that, she was prescribed heart medicine, which she remained on for a little more than a year.  Emilia’s lung healed, and after 16 days in the NICU, we were able to bring her home to join Molly (who spent 14 days in the NICU at Good Samaritan), and our oldest daughter Jillian, then 3 ½ years old.

When Emilia was 15 months old, doctors tested her heart and determined that any issues she may have had were resolved and she no longer needed heart medication.  Today, Emilia and Molly are happy, healthy 6 year olds, who love to laugh and play (especially soccer!).  We are thankful for the support we received from family, friends, and Hailey’s Hope Foundation during the girls’ time in the NICU.